Different methods are used when it comes to removing facial hair which includes the use of sharp objects like razor. These sharp objects can leave a scar on the face, especially when done in a hurry or when there is an ingrown hair. Eliminating aftershave scars can be challenging, but the good news is that it can be done.
The best way to get rid of shaving scars is to use the Silicone Scar Gel Approach. The Silicone Gel Approach has proven to be very effective overtime as it takes care of both old and new scars. It takes no extra effort as all you need do is to rub it over the affected area.
Scars in the face are not an attractive sight especially shaving scars from razor cuts or shavers. Nonetheless, you need not worry as there are remedies available to get rid of the shaving scars. Keep reading this article for simple steps to these remedies.
How To Remove Shaving Scars.
Scars happen accidentally from a razor cut, and it can also be a result of razor bumps. When razor bumps are left untreated, they can become permanent scarring on the face. Below are some methods that can be used to get rid of these scars:
1. Silicone Scar Gel Approach
The facial silicone scar gel is a great product that can be used to get rid of shaving scars. Below are steps on how to use the silicone scar gel.
Step 1: Dampen a cloth with cold water; ensure the fabric is clean.
Step 2: Wipe the surface of the scar gently with the dampened cloth to cleanse and soothe your skin and also for ease of application.
Step3: Put a drop of silicone scar gel on your fingertip and rub it over the scar in a thin layer but make sure it covers the spot adequately.
Step 4: Using gentle circular motions, massage the scar gel gently over the scar with your fingertips.
Step 5: Ensure that you massage in the clockwise and anticlockwise movement for about 30 seconds.
Step 6: Massage gel on skin from left to right for another 30 seconds, then go in up and down direction for 30 seconds more.
Step 7: Leave the scar gel to dry completely. Drying up should take about five minutes, but you can easily blow-dry the gel when in a hurry. Place dryer 5 inches away from the scar on low heat until it dries off and no longer wet when you touch.
Step 8: Leave on your face only a visible sheen.
The Silicone gel approach is effective to take care of those aftershave scars including the old ones. However, massaging the skin in the directions mentioned above helps to break down scar tissue. You can shop for Silicone scar gel on Amazon
2. Aloe Vera Extract Approach
The Aloe Vera extract is a well-used remedy with many healing abilities, although not scientifically proven. However, there are many skin products available in stores containing the aloe vera extract for skincare. Continuous application to the affected area can work a great deal to help clear off shaving scars.
Get a fresh aloe vera leaf from the plant. Cut open to extract the gel from the leaf. Rub gel extract on the affected area and massage thoroughly for some minutes. Apply the extracted gel everyday till the scar fades. A ready-made Aloe Vera extract can also be purchased at a store if you cannot get the leaf around your home.
3. Essential Oils Approach
Some essential oils have healing properties that can help a great deal in getting rid of shaving scars. Nevertheless, it’s vital to note that essential oils should not be used directly on the skin. Essential oils should be diluted with carrier oil before being applied to the affected area.
Carrier oils are mixed with essential oils before they can be applied to the skin. That’s because of the potency of the essential oils, which can irritate when one applies directly to the skin without diluting. Examples of carrier oils are Coconut oil, Jojoba oil, Avocado oil, Olive Oil, Blackseed Oil, etc.
Here are some essential oils that can be used to get rid of shaving scar include geranium, tea tree, lavender, etc. In addition, products containing essential oils can be applied to the shaving scar to eliminate them. It’s worthy to note that Essential oils and Carrier oils are gotten from plants and are very suitable for the skin.
Below is a guideline on how to mix the Carrier oils with essential oils
For 2.5 percent dilution: Mix 15 drops essential oil with 6 teaspoons carrier oil
For 3 percent dilution: Mix 20 drops essential oil with 6 teaspoons carrier oil
For 5 percent dilution: Mix 30 drops essential oil with 6 teaspoons carrier oil
For 10 percent dilution: Mix 60 drops essential oil with 6 teaspoons carrier oil
The above mixture is critical to get the best result and also to prevent skin irritation.
4. Green Tea Approach
Green tea contains a chemical compound called Catechin that has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Applying the extract directly to the affected area has potential advantage for eradicating scar tissue. The application is very simple and straightforward.
- Place moistened green tea bags directly to the shaving scars and leave for a while or
- You can also make a warm compress by dipping a towel or clean cloth in a bowl of brewed green tea, then place the towel on the scar. Do this repeated for a while and watch the scar fade away.
There are varieties of skincare products that contain green tea extract in stores that can also be purchased and applied on the scar.
5. Sunscreen Approach
It is excellent when scars are carefully protected from the sun, as sun exposure can darken spots permanently. Application of sunscreen to keep shaving scar protected from the sun can help the scar fade faster and also helps reduce discoloration.
6. Onion Extract Approach
Onion extract gels are effective for scar reduction. Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant are compounds found in the onion extract which are very effective in dealing with scar tissues. This approach is very cost-effective as you can get onion right from your kitchen, extract the juice, and spread it in the affected area.
Products like the Mederma Scar Cream and others are formulated with onion extract. This scar cream can be purchased and applied to the face to eliminate shaving scars.
7. Astringent Approach
Application of astringent liquids directly to the skin is one common way to get rid of shaving scars. These liquids help reduce inflammation of the skin and also assist in reducing the effects of razor burn. Some common types of astringent liquids that can be applied are Tea tree oil, Apple cider vinegar, Black brewed tea, witch hazel, etc.
Liquids should be applied to the affected area using cotton pad, or make sure your hand is clean before use. Ensure that the liquid thoroughly penetrates the skin before washing off with very lukewarm water.
8. Cornstarch Or Baking Soda Mask Approach
Cornstarch and baking soda are popular ingredients commonly used in baking. However, they are often used as a natural treatment for various skin ailments such as acne. They have also been found to be a practical recipe for preventing razor bumps.
- To make cornstarch or baking soda face mask:
- Add a cup of lukewarm water with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch baking soda.
- Apply the mixture to the affected area and leave completely dry up for about 20 minutes before washing off with lukewarm water.
- Use the cornstarch or baking soda mixture twice a day until shaving scars have entirely disappeared.
All of the approaches mentioned above are DIY treatments and home remedies that you can use to get rid of shaving scares. They are very cost-effective as you can get most of the ingredients you need right there at home. Applications are also elementary and straightforward; all you have to do is rub it over the affected area.
However, you can see a medical specialist such as a dermatologist to get the desired result. A visit to the clinic is vital because some ingrown hair scars do not respond to DIY home remedies. Skincare professionals will have options and methods that you can consider for getting rid of shaving scar.
How To Prevent Shaving Scare
It is popularly said that prevention is better than cure as some remedies can be costly and takes time to get the result. Shaving scars are caused mainly by ingrowth which can be prevented before scarring the face. It is, however, discovered that some skins and hair are likely to have ingrown hairs compared with others.
Although, it can probably be challenging to avoid scars or ingrown hairs permanently, especially for people with very curly or coarse hair. Nonetheless, the most suitable way to avert ingrown hairs from becoming a scar is to prevent them from getting infected. Listed below are some things to avoid if you have ingrown hair:
- Don’t pick at it:If you have an ingrown hair, try as much as possible not to dig at it or try to pop it even if it’s itchy.
- To avoid irritation, let it breathe.Make sure the ingrown hair is not covered by cloth.
- Ensure that the area is clean and moisturized.
- The use of warm compresses will help soften the skin and aid the ingrown hair to pop out easily on its own with popping.
- It is advised that you don’t remove hair or shave the area where the ingrown hair is located. When you leave without shaving, it reduces irritation and helps prevent scarring.
- There are varieties of formulated gel products that will help the ingrown hairs come out more quickly. You can apply the gel on the affected areas to help the trapped hair escape and reduce the amount of sore to your skin.
- If an infection eventually occurs, ensure that the affected area is clean, moisturized, and covered. Sunscreen gel can be applied to keep away from the sun.
- Make use of an electronic razor. It is recommended that those that shave every day switch over to an electric razor if they must shave every day. Using an electric razor entails more constant movement of the blade, which can help prevent irritation on the skin and accidental cutting.
Ingrown hairs can also be prevented by observing the following;
- Always moisturize your skin before and after you shave.
- Use a sharp razor and rinse it in between strokes.
- Exfoliate your skin regularly. In case you have coarse or curly hair, this will help avoid ingrown hairs and the after scars they leave on your face. Exfoliation also helps eliminate debris and dead skin cells from the skin’s surface, leading to a lesser risk of infection.
- Shaving directly after a shower is a great measure to prevent scars. The hair is in its softest shape right after the shower because the steam and heat of the water have penetrated the skin very well. Hair follicles have become more open and more relaxed, making shaving your skin directly after you shower very easy. Also, the curly hair follicles that cause ingrown hairs and razor bumps to occur are prevented.
- The application of creams such as aftershave lotions and hydrocortisone directly on the shaved areas will help prevent scars and act as post-bump neutralizers. Varieties of products with hydrocortisone contain can be purchased to help reduce redness and swelling of the affected area. Furthermore, a common ingredient like glycol acid helps a great deal to reduce razor bumps and lesions by 60% after one application.
Different skins react differently to treatments, and new scars are easily treated compare to an old shaving scar. It is, however, advised that shaving scar from ingrown hairs and razor burns are better prevented than seeking remedies. It is also an excellent move for people with sensitive skin to seek the help of a medical specialist for better options to get rid of shaving scars.